Saturday, March 26, 2011

The Legends


There are things I found interesting enough but not so much I wanted to pursue, believe it or not, I love legends. I came to think, there are something behind those legends because without it, stories cannot be made. Bak kata pepatah Melayu, kalau tak ada angin, masakan pokok bergoyang. Hahaha. Arthurian legend is one of the things i found interesting, when I got home, I find myself looking at the TV schedule to see if anything about King Arthur will be aired. I was still in primary school when I was introduced to Arthur, and of course Merlin and the famous Camelot. It's still interesting although some findings revealed by historical researcher were bound to clash! I've watched a documentary from National Geographic about Arthur, there are three possible 'Arthurs' that they came down with. But then, as they try to proved whose Arthur, they went back to nobody. It could be a tale tale, like fairy tales to us, Arthur was just a fairy tale for those people in the pa
st. He was introduced in old book like 'Historia Regum Brittaniae' or History of the Kings of Britain'. Some find them in literature. The characters carved through many old historical facts gathers from poems, inscription, and books. Some argues it was just another legend, but Arthur was the most famous legend in Europe. Some says 'Arthur' was just a name made up referring to some else--as gallant, as kind, as just as he is in the legend.
The Legendary Excalibur, artist impression only :D

Well of course this is not my attempt to bring though new insights. Haha, I'm just saying, I love this legend. King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table, Camelot, Excalibur, Lake of Avalon, Albion, and some names you might know like Sir Lancelot or Guinevere or Morgan Le Fay or Mordred, Merlin and some you might not know like Elyan, Percival and Gwaine.

If you follow the TV series 'Merlin', you'll find that some facts are jumbled up. But it's still fun to see but don't get confuse, the TV series was just made to suit what's best for the ratings. Haha! It's not a historical documentary, it's a TV show so don't get made with that.

It's not that I'm not interested in Malay legends like Mahsuri, and maybe Puteri Santubong and Puteri Sejinjang legend, who knows what we can find right? But how many are there willing to sacrifice their time to dig deep into these legends? Unlike the Western people, we Malaysian couldn't care less to know why the legend come about. That's why our history class is so boring that I am always sleepy or drawing when my teacher taught History in front of the class. So boring.

That's all people!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sharing Is Caring :)