Saturday, July 23, 2011

If I Have A Little More Time (Part Two)

Hey guys, this is part two of the short story, if you missed the first part here's the link! http://bit.ly/pALUC0

Don't forget to leave comments okay! and share it if you like :)


IF I HAVE A LITTLE MORE TIME (PART TWO)

‘Hey, man? Wanna hang out? Yeah, that’ll be great! Thanks man!’ I hung up the phone. I called Justin it’s been quite a while since I met him. I called Bob and Fred asking them out, they all agreed which was great. I talked to a few girls to, Katy still refuse to answer my call which was fine to me for now, but I did ring Joan and Tiffany; they’re the closest girls next to Katy, well right before we broke up.

We met at Lorenzo’s and thank god it’s not full. I came with Justin, and we met Bob and Jenny, his new girlfriend, and Fred. Half an hour later Joan and Tiffany showed up.

‘Sorry, we had a few extra lines to write for you-know-who,’ said Joan and we all cracked up. I remembered how much fun it was the last time they hang out, as legal dudes never had so much time to enjoy as much as the other. Some of the professors like to set out a pain in the ass assignments almost every weekend which consumes a lot of times behind thick law books. ‘Nah, it’s okay, at least you came!’ I said and raised my glass, ‘to pain in the ass, Law!’ and they all cheered.

We talked about many things, from the cruel professors, to the school’s new president, to the situation in Gaza, to almost everything. It’s really been a long time; I missed all of us going out.

‘And how have you been?’ Justin asked. It’s my time on the spotlight; I could come out clean, or I could lie. I need the fun though, not the tilted ‘I’m really sorry’ heads.

‘I’ve never been better!’ Well, it’s so much easier to lie.

Did I wish to tell them about what I’m having? Yes I pretty much want to let out what I really feel, but I feel there’s no need to pull them into this at the same time. I’m happy there are happy so why want to ruin that? It won’t be fair to them. I did the same thing at home too, I took the job my mom is happy, I help my dad at the garage helping him fixing old cars he’s happy. And I felt myself happier than I ever was before. Paradox? Ironic?

I know my health is deteriorating every second. But if I am this happy, I don’t mind. Who knows, having cancer makes me happier. In the mean time, I’m very much excited with my plan.

***

I waited outside the building; I don’t know what time her class ended, her schedule might change, so I waited outside around noon. I heard a lot of footsteps coming, she might be coming here. There were a group of girls, not looking very happy, and as the passed, I heard rude words from one of them. Then a few guys, and then Justin and Fred, followed by Bob and Jenny and they went the other way and they didn’t see me which was good. I just need to talk to Katy, but I’m pretty sure she’ll come up with Joan and Tiffany, who came out right after a bunch of angry group of three guys, and two girls. Katy was not with them. I had to talk to them.

‘Hi, Jo, Tiff, where’s, emm, Katy?’ I ask. They looked quite apprehensive. And a few seconds after that Katy walked out of the building and with her this other guy. I didn’t recognize him. They kissed goodbye and while he went the direction Justin and his gangs went to, Katy walked towards me, Joan and Tiffany. She looked appalled to see me there.

‘We’ll leave you two first, Katy, we’ll be at the coffee house,’ said Tiffany and they bid me goodbye. I muttered a simple okay and they’re off.

‘I don’t think I have much to say to you,’ she started.

‘Me neither, so let me start okay,’ I said. ‘I’m still in love with you, just because I chose to drop out of this school it doesn’t mean I want to break up with you. I don’t know why you make that call, and I wanted to know right now.’

‘I’m not sure how to tell you this, but,’ she said, close to a whisper. ‘Do try, because if you don’t have really good reasons for this, then we’re just breaking up because of silly reasons. And that’s just not worth it,’ I cut her off.

‘It was silly Jeremy, what was I suppose to think? We fight a lot before, and then you dropped out not even telling me about it, tell me Jer, what was I suppose to think?’ she cried. She sobbed, but I didn’t do anything. Not even hold her. We kept out distance.

‘I’m sorry, but I just don’t think I wanted to be a lawyer as much as you guys. I wanted to be fair to myself,’ I explained.

‘Then just tell me that! Am I that stupid to you not to understand that?’ she countered my excuse. She can be really tough, she was. But I really like her. I love her. She’s the first girl I ever love. And she will always be. A part of me wanted to scream out ‘I have leukemia’, but I refrained not to. ‘Never that!’ I exclaimed.

‘Look, I’m sorry for not telling you that, and I just had to tell you I love you. I don’t care how many guys you’re seeing but the fact that I still love you won’t change Katy.’ I said. She pushed me to the side and ran. That’s the last time I saw her for a long time. But my heart didn’t budge. What I feel for her never weathered.

I kept to myself much as time drew nearer. I kept myself busy with teaching, spend more time with my dad at the garage, and then gardening, you know, the kind of things that will keep my mind from thinking I’m dying a slow death. But at nights were the worst. I couldn’t do anything, so I tend to think of my final days, how’s that going to be. And then more time passed by, I started feeling weaker, I ran high fever often, and I found myself not eating very much.

I went to see Dr. Riley again, and he said it can be a lot worse. My whole body will ache, and I can still have emergency treatment, or surgery, but I refused again and again. I told him I had a plan. And at days that I felt fine, I went out to the garden and saw mom had been kind to the vegetables I planted, they looked beautiful, and sometimes she gave me a few cards written by the school kids to me. They had very roughly written ‘Get Well Soon’ with colourful crayons, and some stick figure drawings of me, how cute.

I kept myself cheerful most of the time. Sometimes I went back to the school for a while teaching and then I fell ill again. Dad didn’t allow me with heavy things anymore, he said I looked to thin and ill and insisted me just rest. I feel my days are going passed me like a racing horse. Fast and a little while later finished.

And came this late autumn, it’s getting cold. Only a few days more before the first snowflakes landed on the earth. Cold wind blew, but I felt good. I felt a little strength in me. I walked down to the dining room and my mom was busy plating up food. Dad was in the living room watching the news, it was almost lunch. It didn’t rain, but the grayish cloud thickened made it looked gloomy.

‘Mom, I’m just gonna walk outside for a while,’ I said.

‘It’s cold outside, and you don’t look at all fine!’ she said, her eyebrows raised high. I smiled and told her I’d be fine. ‘I’m just gonna walk along this street and then heads back okay?’ She then let me out of the house but only left the door after I sushed her in.

The streets were bare, only a few fallen leaves lie on it. No kids, no car. I was feeling a little bit cheerful when everything went blank.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sharing Is Caring :)